Diagram of Operation

Diagram of Operation
My new tummy arrangement after gastric mini bypass

Thursday 8 December 2011

Shopping - have I faded so much that I am invisible?

When I got back from the hospital yesterday I dropped in at the pharmacy to fill the prescription for the intravenous antibiotics and the food supplements.  Dr Lechaux hadn't given me a prescription for the nurse to do the injections and before I left the pharmacy they said they would telephone him and the nurse to organise it all for me.  They asked me to return this morning.  I went in to see them just before going into the supermarket next door.  The pharmacist had dealt with all the problems.  Apparently, these drugs are no longer available intravenously so have been exchanged for tablets.  Unfortunately, that means I am now going to have to take four extra tablets a day (with the other supplements he prescribed) and I have a problem taking tablets.  Still, I suppose it's better than a daily injection.  sometimems I feel I go one step forward and two steps back.  I shall start tomorrow with the new medication. 

This morning I bought loads of Christmas food to store and, I'd like to think that in another 17 days, I may just be able to eat something from each course of Christmas lunch.  I hardly spend anything at the supermarket nowadays with my reduced eating, but today my bill was €138,95 - quite a shock!  Still, Christmas is never cheap and I shall enjoy the others eating and drinking all the festive food even if I can't have as much as usual.

As I was at the fish counter, buying crab, salmon and having prawns weighed out, another customer asked about crabs and then started to order some.  The assistant said, “can you wait please, I am already serving”.  The woman turned to me and apologized.  I said “no problem” and smiled.  When I was at the checkout packing my shopping into bags, with the assistant still putting items through the till, the same woman offered her loyalty card and put her payment card into the machine.  This assistant said, “can you wait please, I am already serving”.  The woman customer looked at me and said “I am so sorry – this is the second time”.  I have lost 79 pounds in weight, so I replied “Perhaps I am invisible” no-one understood what I really meant, but they all laughed.  

Currently, because of course this changes at a whim, my favourite naughty "food" is After Eight Mints.  The first is the standard 200g box and the second is the 400g "overpriced with Christmas packaging" box!



I have six each day, spread out through the day, at a cost of 214 calories, and although we don't count calories, it does give me some idea of what I'm eating and how many I can allow myself - because they're very slim minted chocolates and it would be very easy to eat the whole box without realising!

This afternoon I cooked a chicken with bacon and herbs so that I will have the stock to make soup again, I did eat some of the meat for my supper.  I have bought lots of vegetables to cook in the oven and add to the stock before I blend it, pass it through a sieve, reheat and eat it.

Here is a photo of my old, fatter face and another of my old but new, slimmer face - there is definitely an improvement.


I went out yesterday evening to a Quiz evening at a pub in St Gilles Vieux Marché, about 45 minutes away from my home.  I don't usually go out much in the evening when I have to drive as I hate driving at night.  If it's dark my brain tells me that I should be asleep.  We have a meal - last night chicken in a cider and cream sauce with French fries - as part of the €5 cost, and for the first time since my operation I ate something away from the house.  I had about eight of the chips dipped into the sauce.  I was apprehensive, but everything was fine, so I shall feel more confident in future.  Little by little ....

No comments:

Post a Comment