Diagram of Operation

Diagram of Operation
My new tummy arrangement after gastric mini bypass

Saturday 26 November 2011

Have I found the reason for my problems?

I've spent the morning on the internet and have read and read so many different articles trying to find why I might be having such a noisy stomach and be spending so much time on the toilet.  I think I may have found the answer.

It seems that I may be lactose intolerant, which means that all the milk I have been drinking and adding to soups may be the reason for my tummy troubles.  In lactose intolerant people there is a deficiency in the production of the enzyme called lactase which breaks down the lactose.  Lactase is found in the top of the small intestine, which is the part bypassed in the mini gastric bypass, and frequently people who have had this bypass subsequently find they are lactose intolerant. 

If the lactose is not dealt with by the lactase then it arrives in the colon where anaerobic bacteria convert it into foul smelling gas, methane and possibly hydrogen sulphide and extra water is passed at the same time, creating diarhhoea with the associated cramping  pains.

There are two solutions.  The first is to avoid lactose containing products such as milk, cream and cheese, but also some cakes, icecream etc. etc.  The second is to continue to eat dairy but to take lactase either in drop or pill form prior to eating/drinking the lactose containing product.  This lactase should then alleviate the symptoms.

I am seeing my general practitioner on Monday early evening and will put my findings to her.  Hopefully this will be the answer.  Fingers crossed, because I have really had enough of it all after nearly nineteen weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment